[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] random-stream 0.1.1

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sat Mar 21 15:17:17 EDT 2009

I'm pleased to announce a new version of random-stream package.

In this version I have rewritten the internal API.
Now the package exposes a new System.Random.URandom module, with the
function:

     urandom :: Int -> IO S.ByteString

This function is an interface to the system pseudo random numbers generator.

The API of the module System.Random.Stream is left unchanged, but it now
uses the urandom function, internally.

System.Random.Stream provides a pure interface over urandom, using a
lazy ByteString of random bytes.
Since it provides an infinite stream of random data, things should be ok.

I have also added support to Windows (older versions may not be
supported, however [1]).

The package should be available on Hackage.
Mercurial repository is at:
http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/haskell/random-stream/

Example usage: http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=2738

[1] It is possible to use OpenSSL, as a fallback.
     Just set the HAVE_SSL flag, during package configuration.
     The OpenSSL DLL should be placed where the linker can find it.
     I tried to test this, but without success
     (but I did not put much effort in it).

Regards  Manlio Perillo