[Haskell-cafe] Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Ross Mellgren rmm-haskell at z.odi.ac
Sat Mar 21 12:35:27 EDT 2009

I tried making this work, but librsvg requires pango, and pango is a
huge pain in the ass -- I managed to get the whole thing to compile,
but now it can't find any fonts, apparently due to some dynaloading
issues.

I think if you need any of the extended modules (e.g. svgcairo, gl)
that the DMG doesn't directly support then you're best served by
shedding a couple tears and going with macports.

The steps I used to get the broken version were (FYI -- doing this
causes all fonts to load as the no-character square in all gtk2hs apps):

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/
pkgconfig:/Library/Frameworks/Cairo.framework/Resources/dev/lib/
pkgconfig:/Library/Frameworks/GLib.framework/Resources/dev/lib/
pkgconfig:/Library/Frameworks/Gtk.framework/Resources/dev/lib/pkgconfig

export PATH=$PATH:/Library/Frameworks/GLib.framework/Resources/dev/bin

cd pango-1.24.0
CFLAGS="-DFC_WEIGHT_EXTRABLACK=215" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make -j4
sudo make install

cd librsvg-2.26.0
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make -j4
sudo make install

cd gtk2hs-0.10.0
./configure --disable-gio
make -j4
sudo make install

Running apps linked with this version of gtk2hs gets:

(svgviewer:43314): Pango-CRITICAL **: No modules found:
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found.
PangoFc will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
   '/usr/local/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You should create this file by running:
   pango-querymodules > '/usr/local/etc/pango/pango.modules'

(svgviewer:43314): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect
ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderATSUI', script='latin'

So if anyone knows what Pango is trying to do, maybe they could help
resolve this.

I'm probably going to ditch the use of GTK in my own project and use
FFI bindings to Carbon/Win32, since I don't really need widgets for my
own stuff and the whole family of GTK related packages is a total pain
in the ass (as are most things in the GNU family of software, IMO)

-Ross