[Haskell-cafe] Re: Design Patterns by Gamma or equivalent

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Wed Mar 11 07:31:40 EDT 2009

"Mark Spezzano" <mark.spezzano at chariot.net.au> wrote:

> Basically I___m asking if there are any kinds of ___common denominator___
> function compositions that are used again and again to solve
> problems. If so, what are they called?
Haskellers tend to cast their design patterns into functions and
libraries. What they're supposed to be called is a zealously heated
discussion, there's, for example,

return == pure == point

fmap == map == (.) == liftM [1]

OTOH, we're said to not care at all:

| Don't underrate Haskell programmers. The ones I know have the kind of
| minds where if you switched the names to pig latin, they wouldn't skip
| a beat.
-- [2]

If you're looking for a text that could be named "The N most
(use|success)ful Haskell Design Patterns", I recommend having a look at
the Typeclassopedia[3].

[1]well, at least there _could_ be.