[Haskell-cafe] FRP + physics / status of hpysics

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sun Mar 8 07:14:00 EDT 2009

* Peter Verswyvelen <bugfact at gmail.com> [2009-03-08 12:00:23+0100]
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:
>
> > * Peter Verswyvelen <bugfact at gmail.com> [2009-03-07 18:34:10+0100]
> > > On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it a performance issue?
> >
> > Yes. As Roman Leshchinskiy explained it's because parallel arrays are
> > not fused properly yet.
> > But it's quite trivial to modify Hpysics to use ordinary lists or
> > arrays, and I think it'll give reasonable performance.
> >

> Personally I would not mind too much about performance initially; I'm very
> confident that lots of optimizations can be done afterwards  - maybe even
> letting the GPU handle certain tasks.

I wouldn't mind too if it was just 'inefficient'; however, it's
practically unusable.

<<Result was disappointing -- simple 2-step simulation with 10 bodies
took 9 seconds and almost 1Gb of memory to complete.>>

http://physics-dph.blogspot.com/2008/08/status-report-week-11-12.html

"Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain