[Haskell-cafe] Type question re: map

sam lee skynare at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:43:39 EST 2009

map :: (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b]

map takes a function and transforms a list of a's to b's.

map succ [1,2,3]
==> [succ 1, succ 2, succ 3]

In general,
map f :: [a] -> [b]
where a is domain-type of f and b is image-type of f (f :: a -> b).

map map [x, y, z]
==> [map x, map y, map z]

so, x,y,z should functions of type (a -> b).
and the result list, [map x, map y, map z], should have type [([a] -> [b])]
because
map x :: [a] -> [b]    where x :: a -> b