[Haskell-cafe] Re: a newbies confusion with repositories - darcs or git

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 11:58:09 EST 2009

> now that I'm finished with my haskell app I take the opportunity to
> follow up on some things I hadn't quite understood in my so far short
> venture into the haskell world.
>
> Means: Prepare for a number of naive posts to follow.

We (most of we, actually) have all been there. Some of
us (me, probably) are still there.

> But since I have the ambition to become a real haskeller I was gonna
> make myself acquainted with darcs. Should I skip that and head straight
> for git?

Whatever you choose, you'll take some time to get
used to it. So, if you decided that in the end you'll
use git, but you want to have a taste of darcs first,
I recommend you to read the "Patch theory" of darcs
manual instead:

http://darcs.net/manual/node9.html

There you'll find the best of darcs. If, instead, you
just use darcs for a little amount of time, you'll
only taste the beginner headache.

Best,
Maurício