[Haskell-cafe] bizarre syntax error

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Jun 27 20:50:47 EDT 2009

On Jun 27, 2009, at 20:37 , Geoffrey Irving wrote:
>    "The last statement in a 'do' construct must be an expression"

Right, the "where" terminates the entire expression, you can't use it
in the middle like that.  I'm pretty sure that's mandatory per the
standard, and nobody really wants to open the can of worms involved
with allowing its nested use as an extension.  (Layout is hard enough
to parse already; IIRC, strictly speaking, the behavior specified in
the standard is impossible to implement, and even "almost right" is
extremely difficult.)  Use a subsidiary "let" instead:

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu