[Haskell-cafe] coding standard question

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 22 05:46:59 EDT 2009

Jules Bean wrote on 22.06.2009 13:09:
> Miguel Mitrofanov wrote:
>> I so don't want to be the one supporting your code...
>
> Well, that's lucky. Because you aren't.

Exactly.

> However, that's an easy arrow to fling. I say I don't find warnings
> useful so you suggest my code is unmaintainable. Is that based on any
> knowledge of my code, or the GHC warnings?

First of all, I never said that your code is unmaintainable. And, if it's not, i still don't want to maintain it, since we clearly have very
different approaches to programming - which is, actually, a good thing (except that mine is obviously good and yours is obviously bad).

> I've been using GHC for years and my honest opinion is that the warnings
> very rarely flag an actual maintainability problem in the code I write,
> and very frequently annoying highlight something I knew I was doing, and
> did quite deliberately - most often inexhaustive patterns or shadowing.

Maintainability is (mostly) NOT about how good are YOU in supporting your own code.

> Maybe there are mistakes which you can make which the warnings usefully
> highlight, and maybe I just never make that kind of mistake.

It's a kind of mistakes that I can make maintaining your code, that's all. That doesn't imply that it's your fault (except that it certainly is).