[Haskell-cafe] Slow documentation generation on Hackage

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 05:57:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 11:24 +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:
> "Niemeijer, R.A." <r.a.niemeijer at tue.nl> writes:
>
> > If that is the main concern, would the following not work?
>
>   [...]
>
> > Result: immediate documentation for every contributor with good
> > intentions

Having the server generate docs itself would be regressing towards a
worse design. The server should just manage upload/download, storage and
management of information. It should not be running builds and
generating docs.

> Or simply, on upload, generate the doc directory with a temporary page
> saying that documentation will arrive when it's good and ready?

And use a design where there isn't just a single build client, like the
design for the new hackage-server. Any authorised client should be able
to upload docs. That should include the package maintainer as well as
authorised build bots. Then we can easily adjust the time between
package upload and documentation generation without having to tell the
server anything.

Duncan