[Haskell-cafe] Slow documentation generation on Hackage

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Jun 8 16:36:00 EDT 2009

Thomas ten Cate wrote:
> Niemeijer, R.A. wrote:
> > which, face it, is going to be all of them; I doubt Haskell
> > is popular enough yet to be the target of DoS attacks
>
> Second that. I think this is a good case in which some security should
> be traded in for usability.

Those who would trade security for usability deserve neither usability
nor security ;)

Seriously, all the Haskell hackers I've encountered have been good
people, but Haskell is the language of the hair shirt afterall. Security
is hard enough to come by in the first place, sacrificing what little we
have is not the right path. The Haskell interwebs are already too
susceptible to downtimes from non-malicious sources, and it floods
#haskell whenever it happens.

I agree that the turnaround time is a bit long, but I think server
stability is more important than instant feedback. It's easy enough to
get an account on community.haskell.org and just upload your own docs
there[1]. The thing I'd be more interested in getting quick feedback on
is whether compilation succeeds in the Hackage environment, which is
very different from my own build environment.

Given the various constraints mentioned, and depending on the load
averages for the servers, perhaps the simplest thing to do would be to
just reduce the latency somewhat. Flushing the queue every 4~6 hrs seems
both long enough to circumvent the major DoS problems, and short enough
to be helpful to developers. Especially if the queue could be set up to
be fair among users (e.g. giving each user some fixed number of slots or
cycles per flush, delaying the rest until the next cycle). A different
approach would be to do exponential slowdown per user. So if a user has
submitted N jobs in the last Window (e.g. 24 hours), then the job is run
around Epsilon^N after submission (where Epsilon is, say, 3 minutes).

[1] I do: http://community.haskell.org/~wren/ The scripts to automate it
are trivial, but I can share them if people like.

--
Live well,
~wren