[Haskell-cafe] Re: Proposal: TypeDirectedNameResolution

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Jul 31 06:00:59 EDT 2009

Ketil Malde wrote:
> Cale Gibbard writes:
>
>> There was a great related idea on #haskell the other day: Make
>> explicit qualification unnecessary whenever there is a *unique* choice
>> of module qualifications from those imported which would make the
>> expression typecheck.
>
> My favorite annoyance is repeated import lines for each library just
> to be able to use some unique identifiers unqualified, e.g.:
>
>    import qualified Data.ByteString as B
>    import Data.ByteString (ByteString)
>    import qualified Data.Map as M
>    import Data.Map (Map)
>
> and so on.  I'm all for it, if for no other reason, then just to get
> rid of this.

Note that there are alternative solution for this particular problem.
For instance, a version of  qualified  with different semantics will do;
something like this

   import Data.List
   import sometimes qualified Data.Map as Map

   foo :: Map k a              -- accepted with out qualifier 'Map'
                               -- because it's unambiguous

   bar m = map show m          -- defaults to  Data.List.map ,
                               -- 'Map' prefix would be need in
                               -- cases of ambiguity

The idea being that names only need to be qualified when they are
ambiguous, which  Map  and  ByteString  are not.

Regards,
apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com