[Haskell-cafe] Retiring forkIO

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Mon Jul 27 13:09:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to retire forkIO and friends by using Delimited Continuations
instead. Am I dead wrong here in my understanding of Delimited
Continuations or can I pursue in this direction?

The most immediate use for this is actully GUI problems where I'd use
del-conts in place of forkIO for long-running computations because once I
forkIO the computation so as not to block the UI thread I cannot call GUI
code from the end of that thread. Well I can but then the app crashes
because of single threading issues.

Günther