[Haskell-cafe] Hugs used in circuit simulations code

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Tue Jul 28 22:54:45 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch 29 Juli 2009 03:32:20 schrieb Fernan Bolando:
> What is everybodies expereience in speed difference between C and
> interpreted haskell?

That depends on what you do, unsurprisingly. But usually it's huge. A factor of several
hundred is not uncommon, but 10-100 is the normal range (in my limited experience, I
almost always compile).

> I am hoping to achieve at least 10x an equivalent C code.

Then you should definitely *not* run interpreted code, but compile it.
With compiled code, I usually have a factor of less than 10, mostly 2-4, sometimes even
better. But some things take longer in Haskell.

> So if a 10x10 matrix takes 1 second for C I want it to take 10seconds for
> hugs.

Execution speed is not one of hugs' strongest points, so I'd be surprised.
I recommend you get a GHC.

> regards
> fernan

Cheers,