[Haskell-cafe] Leaner Haskell.org frontpage

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jul 16 18:39:55 EDT 2009

I asked "why make life for regular Haskellers", and

On Jul 17, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Thomas Davie replied:
> Because regular haskellers are perfectly capable of bookmarking http://haskell.org/usefullstuff.html
> , while newbies will only get what google tells them -- the front
> page.

Sorry, but
(1) I have a couple of hundred bookmarks; I may be a regular
     Haskeller, but it's better human interfacing for me to
     type www.haskell.org than to look things up in bookmarks.
(2) Who says Google will only tell them the front page?
     PageRank means that Google will offer them first the
     page that is (to a first approximation) most linked to,
     and eventually that will be www.haskell.org/usefullstuff.
(3) Right now, if you actually try it,
     Googling for "Haskell" gives you
	Haskell Introduction - HaskellWiki
     as the *second* link it offers.  Are you really saying
     that there are lots of newbies who are smart enough to
     appreciate Haskell when they see it, but so excruciatingly
     dumb that they won't try "Haskell Introduction"?

What might be a good thing would be if someone touched the
introduction page from time to time.  At the moment, it's
about a year older than the main page, which makes it less
inviting.