[Haskell-cafe] RE: Haskell as a first language?

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Jul 14 05:08:53 EDT 2009

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Haskell is a great language!  Check out haskell.org.   I'm ccing the Haskell Cafe which is read by many people better qualified to answer your question than me.   (Since I've been working on Haskell for many years, I am not well qualified to say how it seems to a beginner.)

The biggest probelm with full Haskell for beginners is that many type
error messages require
some familiarity with the class system, which is not a beginner topic..

However, a good starting point perhaps is Helium - a stripped down
version of Haskell
designed for teaching, with special care gvien to producing useful
helpful error messages...

 http://www.cs.uu.nl/wiki/Helium

Then full Haskell could be introduced in semester 2/ year2 / whatever
timeline suits

(Anything is better than Java...... sigh ;-)

> | Thank you very much for your time.
> |
> | Charles Turner.

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Foundations and Methods Research Group Director.
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room F.13, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                            http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/