[Haskell-cafe] ANN: AC-Vector, AC-Colour and AC-EasyRaster-GTK

Robert Greayer robgreayer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:11:57 EDT 2009

> It’s tempting to say, we should
> use the original English, which is British English.

Some suggest the original English remained in Britain when the North
American colonies were founded; others claim it was brought to the
Americas by the British settlers, leaving a pale imitation back in
Britain.  The truth is much stranger:  the original English was
actually smuggled out of Britain to the West Indies in a wardrobe
belonging to General Sir Ralph Abercromby, where it ended up on the
island of Trinidad after Sir Ralph took possession of that territory
in the name of the British Crown. It came to be used and modified
freely by the various immigrants to Trinidad (and later Tobago) and
their descendants (largely African, Indian, British, Portuguese,
German, Spanish, and Chinese).  Many of these peoples then emigrated,
bringing the original English to North America and back to Britain.  A
copy of it has fallen into my hands, and so I can, without bias, make
the following call: both color and colour shall be acceptable in
Haskell programming.  'Kerb' and 'gaol' are right out, however.

Cheers,
Robert

(who's grandfather is from London and grandmother from Trinidad; but
is nevertheless American)