[Haskell-cafe] Leaner Haskell.org frontpage

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Fri Jul 10 11:14:25 EDT 2009

Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> Search that follows it is awkward. There are three large search
> choices for beginners: 1) the search at the top, which confusingly has
> two submit buttons (with ambiguous differences to a beginner); 2) the
> Search link near the top of the navigation (which links to an almost
> empty page that might as well be included at the link's location); and
> 3) the Search link underneath the About header, which doesn't seem to
> belong at all.

I agree the search aspect could be improved: the MediaWiki software/
database indexing need an upgrade, the Google 'custom search' Haskell
logos are out-of-date and having two Google search links seems
excessive.

Repeating my old search for 'mdo' which started me on this thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@haskell.org/msg33337.html
the box at the top still returns no results, but it is better because
it does now suggest looking at this page
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HaskellWiki:Searching
As I understand it the box at the top is built into the wiki software
and can be improved by upgrading the MediaWiki version/indexing.
(It would be good to report to MediaWiki that the error message should
if possible say "Search words of X characters or less are not indexed"
when appropriate rather than "Zero results". Maybe the latest version
is cleverer.)

The two Google links, neither of them added by me, both have old logos
and seem to give similar results for 'mdo' except that the first returns
results beyond just haskell.org. For this 'mdo' search I can't see any
advantage in having two Google search links.

Richard.