[Haskell-cafe] Leaner Haskell.org frontpage

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri Jul 10 01:48:58 EDT 2009

Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> I suspect most people who like the Ruby page see the "Ruby
> is..." section as especially effective at introducing the language,
> and the random snippet is a simple way to show off a bit of code
> before they dive into a tutorial.

I'll agree that that part is slick.

The rest of it I dislike. In particular the whole right column is
indicative of link hell where they couldn't just decide on a single way
to make links: there's the download button which is different (fine),
there're the first two boxes (also fine), there's the third box which is
like the first two but has a whole bunch of extraneous text, there's a
bullet listing of top projects which looks entirely different, there's a
random RSS link which looks different again, and then it flows into the
old-posts segment of the main body which is different again, and then we
get to the footer links which mirror the header (this one is fine), and
then i18n links are different again and relegated to a footnote (which
isn't very inviting to non-English natives),...

Whereas haskell.org is much more consistent in picking a single style
and running with it. There are some things that could be tweaked (why is
GHC in bold? can we remove the extra leading line between indented link
groups and their heading link?) but it gives a much more coherent and
well designed image.

--
Live well,
~wren