[Haskell-cafe] Leaner Haskell.org frontpage

Rick R rick.richardson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:47:40 EDT 2009

I think it would be best if the page were  targeted towards newcomers, and
not as a jump point for resources.
Such a jump page is useful, but not as a homepage. Perhaps
haskell.org/linkswould be a better place for such a thing.

As an aside, in the current homepage, the Haskell description is outweighed
by the link menu on the left. IMO the reader's eyes should move from the
title, to the description, then either down or left.  Currently my attention
is split evenly between the link menu and the title/description, which
results in confusion.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> ttencate:
> > Are there any kind of hard statistics and analytics that we can base
> > this discussion upon? There is always room for improvement, but
> > stumbling around in the dark making blind guesses may not be the best
> > way to go. Although I personally feel that Lenny's proposed page is an
> > improvement, statistics could tell us what actual people actually use
> > the site for.
>
> FWIW, the current layout is actually based on previous analysis of Popular
> Pages a few years ago, so that we have O(1) access to key resources.
>
> -- Don

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the
continents, and the oceans was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge."

- Daniel J. Boorstin