[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Platform on Ubuntu

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jul 8 18:57:03 EDT 2009

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> looking at
> http://debian.glondu.net/monitor/ocaml/ocaml_transition_monitor.html I
> get the impression that the Ocaml guys need to re-build everything when
> a new Ocaml library

I assume you mean compiler there?

> comes out, but not when just a dependency was upgraded. Is that right?

I'm not really sure about that.

Ocaml libraries seem (warning, generalizations follow) seem to be fewer
in number that Haskell but be more comprehensive. Haskell has far more
small libraries and as a result, Haskell projects often have much deeper
and wider dependency trees than similar Ocaml projects.

> If it is so, we have an excuse due to our
> slightly more complicated procedure.

Yes, I agree that the Haskell problem is a more difficult example
of the same problems the Ocaml maintainers face. There may also be
parts which the Ocaml maintainers don't have to face at all, but
in general, the Haskell problem is similar to the Ocaml one.

> Also, how do they get it in 24 – don’t they have to wait, for each level
> in the dependency tree, for the former level to have been built on a
> buildd, upload signed by a buildd admin and them moved to the archive
> with the next mirror push?

Sorry, I'm not sure of how they do it. I just notice that something
in their first round of compiles like camlbz2 was build on amd64 on
20090629-2107 and something in their last round like json-static
was built on amd64 on 20090701-1149.

Erik