[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Platform on Ubuntu

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto RafaelGCPP.Linux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:34:50 EDT 2009

> The Ocaml programming language has exactly the same problem, but
> the Debian Ocaml maintainers have automated the process and last
> time to Ocaml compiler version was updated over 95% of all Ocaml
> libraries were rebuilt within 24 hours.

Since I never built GHC from scratch, it is really hard for me to estimate
how much effort would I have to put through to automate the whole building
process.

Anyway, automating the package building process is crucial for Linux
distributions.

One problem I see is the binary-only distribution of packages. This makes
cabal-install incompatible with most distributions except, maybe, gentoo.
The automation process would have to run through hackageDB tracking
dependencies and compiling each needed library. Pretty hard stuff...

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto