[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HDBC v2.0 now available

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Jan 30 22:01:58 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 01:51:54AM +0100, Krzysztof Skrz??tnicki wrote:
> The following change in .cabal file may solve the problems:---
> flag base4
>   default: True
>
> library
>   if flag(splitBase)
>     if flag(base4)
>       Build-Depends: base>=4, old-time, time, bytestring, containers,
> old-locale
>     else
>       Build-Depends: base>=3, old-time, time, bytestring, containers,
> old-locale
>   else
>     Build-Depends: base<3
>   Build-Depends: mtl, convertible >= 1.0.1, utf8-string
> ---
>
> It works for me and I *think* will also work for other setups, most notably
> GHC 6.8.*.

Not out of the box.  The base4 flag will be on by default for GHC
6.8.x too, and they'll get the base >= 4 dep, which will break.
They'd have to configure with the option to disable a flag (-f -base4
if memory serves), which is neither intuitive nor automatic.

The only option I would have is to disable all the new base 4 code and
make everyone have a dep on base<4.  That'd be a pity really; what's
the point of a new base if nobody can use it?

And annoying too, after I went to the effort to support it directly,
without OldException or a dep on base<4.

-- John