[Haskell-cafe] ANN: testpack (first release)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jan 27 10:12:32 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> Magnus Therning wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:55 AM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just uploaded testpack to Hackage.  It's a collection of a few
>>> utilities for tests: some tools to convert QuickCheck properties into
>>> HUnit test cases, and various shortcuts and tools to increase
>>> verbosity while running tests in both QuickCheck and HUnit.
>>>
>>> It is pulled partly from MissingH (a few modules being split off), and
>>> partly from functions I find myself writing over and over again.
>>>
>>> API docs and downloads at:
>>>
>>> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/testpack
>>>
>>> Like convertible, it should be compatible with Hugs, GHC 6.8, and GHC
>>> 6.10.
>>
>> Does it complement test-framework, or is it a completely different
>> sort of beast?
>
> I browsed Hackage briefly before I packaged up testpack.  It does look
> like there is some overlap (though the API docs on Haddock are weirdly
> messed up right now).
>
> It looks like the focus is pretty much different though.  test-framework
> has a lot of output options: colored output, filtering of tests to run,
> etc.  I ought to check it out sometime.
>
> testpack is a much smaller (simpler?) package.  It simply converts
> QuickCheck properties into HUnit test cases, so you can run them all
> through HUnit.  I like doing that even if I have no HUnit cases in my
> program, in fact.  Then there are a few very simple stdout/stderr
> formatting functions that people can use (or not) if they like.  Also a
> few more instances of Arbitrary for QuickCheck.

Ah, that might fit me better too then.  I had to create a convenience
function to get my HUnit test cases into test-framework
(http://therning.org/magnus/archives/437)... it might be easier to use
testpack and convert QuickTest cases to HUnit cases instead.  Ah, now
I have yet another thing to try out tonight :-)

/M