[Haskell-cafe] ANN: testpack (first release)

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Jan 27 09:41:10 EST 2009

Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:55 AM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just uploaded testpack to Hackage.  It's a collection of a few
>> utilities for tests: some tools to convert QuickCheck properties into
>> HUnit test cases, and various shortcuts and tools to increase
>> verbosity while running tests in both QuickCheck and HUnit.
>>
>> It is pulled partly from MissingH (a few modules being split off), and
>> partly from functions I find myself writing over and over again.
>>
>> API docs and downloads at:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/testpack
>>
>> Like convertible, it should be compatible with Hugs, GHC 6.8, and GHC
>> 6.10.
>
> Does it complement test-framework, or is it a completely different
> sort of beast?

I browsed Hackage briefly before I packaged up testpack.  It does look
like there is some overlap (though the API docs on Haddock are weirdly
messed up right now).

It looks like the focus is pretty much different though.  test-framework
has a lot of output options: colored output, filtering of tests to run,
etc.  I ought to check it out sometime.

testpack is a much smaller (simpler?) package.  It simply converts
QuickCheck properties into HUnit test cases, so you can run them all
through HUnit.  I like doing that even if I have no HUnit cases in my
program, in fact.  Then there are a few very simple stdout/stderr
formatting functions that people can use (or not) if they like.  Also a
few more instances of Arbitrary for QuickCheck.

-- John