[Haskell-cafe] Re: list choices

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Jan 26 06:02:32 EST 2009

Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

>> The duplicate messages will have the same Message-ID...

>> if they post a message they *want* the reply to go to their main
>> inbox as well as the mailing list folder.

> Maybe I am just stupid, or maybe my email client is inadequate,

If your email doesn't have the option to hide or sort out duplicate
messages, another option might be to use procmail - googling for
"procmail filter duplicates" might give you some recipes.

> As for Reply-to: munging - I agree that _changing_ an existing header
> would be bad, but would be very happy if mailing lists were to
> _introduce_ one on messages where none already existed.

I've been following many lists who choose to add a Reply-To header,
and they invariably get cluttered by mail intended to be private
accidentally being posted to the list.  Usually it isn't too
embarassing, but sometimes it is.  I'd err on the side of caution.

Of course, the right solution would be for Mailman (or other list
processing software) to let subscribers choose individually how to set
headers in the email they receive.

-k (carefully deleting the @cs.york address from the "To" field)