[Haskell-cafe] Fold that quits early?

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 23:24:14 EST 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009 10:26:48 pm Andrew Wagner wrote:
> There's at least one thing; I won't call it a flaw in your logic, but it's
> not true of my usage. Your definition always produces a non-null list. The
> particular g in my mind will eventually produce a null list, somewhere down
> the line. I think if that's true, we can guarantee termination.

You may be able to guarantee termination, but that doesn't mean it is
expressible as a fold. Folds are equivalent in power to primitive recursion
over the given data type, but not all terminating computations are expressible
with primitive recursion (for instance, you can guarantee the termination of
the Ackermann function given enough memory and time, but it is famous for not
being primitive recursive (at least, in the absence of higher-order
functions)).

So, it's entirely possible that your function is provably terminating, but not
primitive recursive on lists (although you might be able to represent the
proof in a sufficiently fancy language, and 'fold' over it instead). The way
you've heretofore described it makes one lean in this direction, since in all
cases you've called f with the result of an arbitrary function on the only
noticeable candidate for an argument that shrinks between calls. But, it's
also possible if you filled in something real for "g", a fold version would be
more forthcoming.

-- Dan