[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:08:33 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM, david48
<dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com<dav.vire%2Bhaskell at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Bulat Ziganshin
> <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello david48,
> >
> > Friday, January 16, 2009, 4:16:51 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >> Upon reading this thread, I asked myself : what's a monoid ? I had no
> >> idea. I read some posts, then google "haskell monoid".
> >
> > it would be interesting to google "C++ class" or "Lisp function" and
> > compare experience :)
>
> The first link for C++ class I find on google is the wikipedia article
> which I find understandable, has examples and explanations that relate
> to programming.
> OTOH, the wikipedia article for monoid is less easy (for me), though
> now I can follow the first paragraphs. But I don't find on the page
> how/why/where it relates to programming.

So you're saying it should be better documented in Haskell what a Monoid is.
 Did you say you searched for "C++ class" why not "Haskell Monoid" then?
 The first correct google hit that didn't think I meant Monads, takes you
straight to the GHC documentation for Data.Monoid.