Names in Haskell (Was: [Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCamlHacker Brian Hurt)

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Jan 15 18:58:45 EST 2009

>> What I don't understand is why Monoid and Monad are objectionable, while
>> Hash, Vector, Boolean, and Integer are (presumably) not objectionable.
>> They all appear equally technical to me.
>
> It's simply that other languages' libraries already have those terms in
> them. So there is nothing new to learn.

1. Imagine learning English. Easy, everyone here has been there, done that.
2. Imagine learning English as a second language. Slightly different:
    a. you can use an English-native language dictionary.
        won't get you all the way, but is fairly essential for beginners.
    b. you can use an English-English dictionary.
        once you know enough of the language to "bootstrap", this is
        preferred over (a), as it helps to get familiar with the language,
        and to improve your autonomy every time you need to look
        something up (instead of clinging to the crutches of translation).
    c. you can use an English-GOB (General Ontology Base) dictionary.
        languages are just syntax. understand the principles behind them!
        can be really useful, but probably not when you're still learning
        your second language, knowing neither English nor GOB. once
        you've seen at least two examples of everything, and know enough
        to read about generalizations, the situation changes.

Does this help?-)
Claus