Names in Haskell (Was: [Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml HackerBr ian Hurt)

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Thu Jan 15 18:50:14 EST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:16:04 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>What I don't understand is why Monoid and Monad are objectionable, while
>Hash, Vector, Boolean, and Integer are (presumably) not objectionable.
>They all appear equally technical to me.

I think the name issue is a red herring. The real issue is that, after
being confronted by a concept with an unfamiliar name, it can be very
difficult to figure out the nature of the concept. That is, it's not the
name itself that's the problem, it's the fact that trying to understand
what it means often leads you on an interminable
Alice-in-Wonderland-esque journey that never seems to get anywhere.

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/