[Haskell-cafe] real haskell difficulties (at least for me)

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:06:23 EST 2009

Well, I thought about these 10's of emails too; probably hackage could
send an email when a new broken build arrives but only if there were
no 'unresolved' broken builds before this one; or probably an email at
the first broken build and a weekly email reminding "you've got some
unresolved broken builds".

As for missing C libraries: could cabal probably integrate with the
native package manager (apt/rpm/..) and ask the user whether to invoke
it to install these libraries in case they are missing? However, this
is not a solution for Windows since there's no native package manager.

An easier solution might be to add a (flag-dependent)
"broken-build-message" field to .cabal files, where authors could put
useful info to be printed when a build breaks, like, "have you
installed libpcre?" or "please see troubleshooting.txt".

/me promises to do some cabal tickets from the 'easy ticket list'
after the last exam