[Haskell-cafe] Slow Text.JSON parser

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Jan 14 06:34:31 EST 2009

Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd at w3future.com> writes:

> JSON is a UNICODE format, like any modern format is today. ByteStrings
> are not going to work.

Well, neither is String as used in the code I responded to.  I'm not
intimately familiar with JSON, but I believe ByteStrings would work on
UTF-8 input, and both ByteString and String would fail on UTF-16 and
UTF-32.

> If everybody starts yelling "ByteString" every time String performance
> is an issue, I don't see how Haskell is ever going to be a "real world
> programming language".

Insisting on linked lists of 32-bit characters isn't going to help,
either.  I'm also looking forward to a fast, robust, and complete
UniCode support, but the OP asked about performance.

-k