[Haskell-cafe] Haskell not ready for Foo [was: Re: Hypothetical Haskell job in New York]

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Sat Jan 10 11:35:09 EST 2009

Hi John,

Take two examples I gave up getting to work: a Haskell wrapper for a
popular GUI library; and a Haskell wrapper for a database. I
understand the former has a new team of developers, so perhaps it's
time to revisit the library. Then again, writing 5000 line GUIs in an
imperative style in a Haskell program just doesn't seem very appealing
to me. And that's one of the problem with FFI-based libraries: it
exposes the functionality (when it works), but in a strictly
imperative way.

Selection bias applies to us both. To quote myself, "Which means your
statements come from your experience, and my statements come from my
experience, and the truth is probably somewhere in between."

Regards,

John