[Haskell-cafe] teaching functional programming at work

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 09:16:21 EST 2009

Hi Warren,

I'd recommend getting them to read Why FP Matters
(http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Papers/whyfp.html) to tempt them,
followed by Programming in Haskell
(http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book.html) to teach them the
concepts/syntax etc, possibly with Learn You a Haskell
(http://learnyouahaskell.com/) to get them familiar with GHCi and
how/where to type things. That's how I've been doing it at work, and
it seems to be working well. Real World Haskell might be a nice follow
on after they've learnt functional programming and want to do real
stuff with it.

Thanks

Neil