[Haskell-cafe] Stupid question #852: Strict monad

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Thu Jan 1 14:25:38 EST 2009

First off, let me apologize for this ongoing series of stupid newbie
questions.  Haskell just recently went from that theoretically interesting
language I really need to learn some day to a language I actually kinda
understand and can write real code in (thanks to Real World Haskell).  Of
course, this gives rise to a whole bunch of "wait- why is it this way?"
sort of questions.

So today's question is: why isn't there a Strict monad?  Something like:

data Strict a = X a

instance Monad Strict where
     ( >>= ) (X m) f = let x = f m in x `seq` (X x)
     return a = a `seq` (X a)

(although this code doesn't compile for reasons I'm not clear on- I keep
getting:
temp.hs:4:0:
     Occurs check: cannot construct the infinite type: b = Strict b
     When trying to generalise the type inferred for `>>='
       Signature type:     forall a b1.
                           Strict a -> (a -> Strict b1) -> Strict b1
       Type to generalise: forall a b1.
                           Strict a -> (a -> Strict b1) -> Strict b1
     In the instance declaration for `Monad Strict'

as a type error.  Feel free to jump in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.)

Obviously, there would also be a StrictT monad transformer.  The point
here is that there are some monads (State being the obvious one) that come
in both strict and lazy variants- the two variants could be eliminated,
and the strict variant would just become a StrictT (State x) a.  Or
maybe a StateT x Strict a.

Hmm.  Which raises the interesting question of what, if any, semantic
difference there is between a StrictT (State x) a and a StateT x Strict
a.

In any case, the idea came when I was thinking about monads being "code
regions"- that we can talk about such and such a function being "in" the
IO monad or STM monad.  The idea was that one could define a "strict" code
region you could put code in.

Brian