[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:55:18 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Thomas DuBuisson
<thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel provided the wisdom:
>> "Do not knowingly make your code unportable unless you have a good reason to"
>>
>> Are there any objections to that maxim?
>
> Thanks for bringing some sanity back.  I notice very few people have
> bothered to comment on the wiki page Neil has setup.  Incase anyone
> has fogotten - this was originally about what packages hoogle should
> search and which options should be available (and which should be
> default) for returning platform specific results.

Yes, thanks for dragging this back on topic.  I am sorry for my
contribution to moving so far away from it.

> Platform specifity:
> The suggestion of platform specific flags, which I now support, seems
> to be dominante. The only alternate I recall is showing all results
> catagorized by platform (with 'portable' being on top) - perhaps that
> could be displayed if there are zero results that are portable.
>
> Default packages searched:
> I've yet to hear anyone say we should search anything less than the
> Haskell Platform by default.  I also don't think anyone has spoke ill
> of a "+hackage" flag.

I would agree with Haskell Platform as default search, and also with a
+hackage flag.  I would also support platform-specific flags if they
were simple to implement.

John Lato