[Haskell-cafe] base-4 + gtk2hs-0.10.0 licensing

Robert Greayer robgreayer at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 11:49:51 EST 2009

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> But IF there is no difference between LGPL and GPL for Haskell
> programs, then the licensing of gtk2hs as LGPL is just a smokescreen -
> it is effectively GPL, so you have to license your program as GPL.

> Which I'm all in favour of :-)

I actually don't think this is 100% true.  With the LGPL, you can distribute your program with under a non-GPL license, as long as you provide *some mechanism* for replacing the library and recreating the program.  Normally this means dynamic linking.  But it also allows you (I think) to distribute your program with a GPL-incompatible-but-nevertheless-open-source license, because that provides a mechanism for replacing the library (because you can rebuild the program from source).  If you license the library under GPL, you cannot even do that.  At least this is my understanding...