[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 20:44:01 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re[4]: [Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc
> To: "Isaac Gouy" <igouy2 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
> Date: Friday, February 20, 2009, 4:43 PM
> Hello Isaac,
>
> Saturday, February 21, 2009, 3:28:31 AM, you wrote:
>
> > When did you look - six months ago? a year ago? 3
> years ago?
>
> ah, again this argument. two weeks ago Don said that ghc
> changed a lot
> in 2 years, now when we see that there is no difference, he
> says that
> those loop optimizer is somewhere noone know where. now i
> should look
> into new set of tests just because everyone else believe
> that ghc is
> shiny. please look yourself, i will continue to say about
> testset i
> have seen when 6.6 arrived

If you're going to continue talking about a testset you saw in 2006 then tell people you are talking about 2006.

> >> most of these tests depends on libraries speed
> > Most?
> > 2 of 12 strongly depend on libraries because PCRE and
> GMP are explicitly allowed.
>
> *were* depending on libs speed. in particular,
> haskell's triumph -
> multithreading tests, chameneos or so

Most? If you add those 2, that makes 4 out of 12 (4 out of 17 in the old data).

> >> in one test, PHP is 1st
> > I don't believe that has ever been true - which
> test?
>
> large regexps one

PHP is not 1st in regex-dna.

PHP is not even 1st in regex-dna in the old data.

PHP is not even in the first 15 in regex-dna in the old data.