[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 19:28:31 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You need look no further than the debian language
> shootout that things
> > really aren't as bad as you're making out √
> Haskell comes in in
> > general less than 3x slower than gcc compiled C.
> you should look inside these tests, as i done :)

When did you look - six months ago? a year ago? 3 years ago?

> most of these tests depends on libraries speed

2 of 12 strongly depend on libraries because PCRE and GMP are explicitly allowed.

> in one test, PHP is 1st

I don't believe that has ever been true - which test?

> from 2 or 3 tests that depends on compiler speed, one
> was fooled by adding special function readInt to ghc libs and the rest
> are written in low-level haskell code - look the sources

Please note that "sum-file" is not included in the current tests.

Please note that "sum-file" has not been included since autumn 2008.