[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 20 13:29:25 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 09:17 +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > 1) Show all the functions (when the number is low), but place platform
> > specific functions under separate headers: "Windows",
> > "Linux/BSD/POSIX", "OS X", etc.
>
> If a function isn't available on all OS's then all Hoogle would be
> encouraging you to do is break compatibility and stop me from using
> your software.

If my software works at all on Windows, it will only ever be by
accident; it certainly won't fit comfortably into the Windows
environment or look-and-feel.  If I'm writing a Unix text filter, why
should I give up a library or tool that would make my life easier
because it's only available on Unix?

jcc