[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: first Grapefruit release

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Feb 16 10:04:39 EST 2009

Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 15:13 schrieben Sie:
> So I have an application that I am developing. The UI module includes
> the following:
>
> import Graphics.UI.Gtk
> import Graphics.Rendering.Cairo
> import Graphics.Rendering.Cairo.SVG
> import Graphics.UI.Gtk.Gdk.EventM
>
> Can you tell from that list if i am likely to be able to rewrite it to
> use Grapefruit?

No, this won’t work at the moment. As I already said, Grapefruit’s widget
support is very restricted at the moment. (And if I say “very” I really mean
it.) So Grapefruit is worlds apart from what the catch-all Graphics.UI.Gtk
import provides. And there is no graphics support at the moment, so there is
nothing equivalent to the Cairo interface. Coming up with a sensible
purely-functional, toolkit-independent, reactive graphics interface will also
need some design work.

Until now, I concentrated on getting Grapefruit’s core well. This includes a
scalable FRP implementation, a record system (since you don’t want to provide
an input signal for every attribute of every single widget in practice) and
support for writing/extending Grapefruit UI backends without writing lots of
boilerplate code. Providing a wide variety of ready-to-use widgets, graphics
primitives, etc. is future work which, hopefully, I can delegate largely to
interested third parties. ;-)

Best wishes,
Wolfgang