[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: first Grapefruit release

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Feb 16 08:00:36 EST 2009

[redirecting to haskell-cafe]

Am Samstag, 14. Februar 2009 23:13 schrieben Sie:
> Great, does it run well on Windows and Mac platforms in addition to Linux
> platform which should run fine?

Actually, I have no idea. ;-)

Well, Grapefruit is a pure Haskell library without any own binding to C
libraries or whatever. For GUI stuff, Grapefruit relies completely on Gtk2Hs.
So if Gtk2Hs works, Grapefruit should work too. I just haven’t tested it so
far. Earlier Grapefruit code was successfully executed on the Windows box of
my co-developer.

On the other hand, Grapefruit is designed to be implemented on top of
different toolkits, although currently there is only the Gtk2Hs backend. So
if you want to write a backend based on the Win32 API or Cocoa, this would be
very welcome. :-)

> I am planning to create video phone software and I was looking for
> good GUI toolkit that supports FRP so it looks like it is right time to
> use Grapefruit :)

This would be really great. Writing applications with Grapefruit gives me
useful feedback and pressure for improvement. Note that currently the set of
supported widgets is very low but this is likely to change during the next
weeks and it should often be very easy to port Gtk2Hs widgets to Grapefruit.

> Thanks
>
>  	Jamie

Best wishes,
Wolfgang