[Haskell-cafe] Infinite types should be optionally allowed

Job Vranish jvranish at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:06:23 EST 2009

I'm pretty sure that the problem is decidable, at least with haskell
98 types (other type extensions may complicate things a bit). It ends
up being a graph unification algorithm. I've tried some simple
algorithms and they seem to work.

What do you mean by "the inference engine is only half of the story"?
>From what I understand, the inference engine infers types via
unification, if the types unify, then the unified types are the
inferred types, if the types don't unify, then type check fails. Am I
missing/misunderstanding  something?

I almost think that the problem might be solvable by just generating
the appropriate newtype whenever an infinite type shows up, and doing
the wrapping/unwrapping behind the scenes. This would be a hacked up
way to do it, but I think it would work.