[Haskell-cafe] Infinite types should be optionally allowed

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 18:09:47 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Luke Palmer <lrpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Job Vranish <jvranish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are good reasons against allowing infinite types by default
>> (mostly, that a lot of things type check that are normally not what we
>> want). An old haskell cafe conversation on the topic is here:
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/There%27s-nothing-wrong-with-infinite-types!-td7713737.html<http://www.nabble.com/There%27s-nothing-wrong-with-infinite-types%21-td7713737.html>
>>
>> However, I think infinite types should be allowed, but only with an
>> explicit type signature. In other words, don't allow infinite types to
>> be inferred, but if they are specified, let them pass. I think it
>> would be very hard to shoot yourself in the foot this way.

Oops!  I'm sorry, I completely misread the proposal.  Or read it correctly,
saw an undecidability hiding in there, and got carried away.

What you are proposing is called equi-recursive types, in contrast to the
more popular iso-recursive types (which Haskell uses).  There are plentiful
undecidable problems with equi-recursive types, but there are ways to pull
it off.  The question is whether these ways play nicely with Haskell's type
system.

But because of the fundamental computational problems associated, there
needs to be a great deal of certainty that this is even possible before
considering its language design implications.