[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org GSoC

Daniel Kraft d at domob.eu
Fri Feb 13 11:11:52 EST 2009

Hi,

Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Daniel Kraft wrote:
>> I noticed last year Haskell.org was a mentoring organization for
>> Google's Summer of Code, and I barely noticed some discussion about it
>> applying again this year :)
>>
>> I participated for GCC in 2008 and would like to try again this year;
>> while I'm still active for GCC and will surely stay so, I'd like to
>> see something new at least for GSoC.  And Haskell.org would surely be
>> a very, very nice organization.
>>
>> Since I discovered there's more than just a lot of imperative
>> languages that are nearly all the same, I love to do some programming
>> in Prolog, Scheme and of course Haskell.  However, so far this was
>> only some toy programs and nothing "really useful"; I'd like to change
>> this (as well as learning more about Haskell during the projects).
 >>
>> - A basic symbolic maths package; I've no idea how far one could do
>> this as a single GSoC project, but it would surely be a very
>> interesting task.  Alternatively or in combination, one could try to
>> use an existing free CAS package as engine.
>
> DoCon?

hm, I've only read a little on their webpage; what I was thinking of was
to implement a very basic package just to do some symbolic integration
or equation solving to be embedded in some other calculation, and DoCon
sounds like a more abstract, mathematical system.

So maybe there could still be some interest in a basic symbolic
expression package that could be backed by a CAS library like GiNaC or
some other one (better yet, pluggable) instead of imlementing a full CAS
itself.

Daniel