[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 23:56:07 EST 2009

+1 for some graphical tools for darcs, especially even a graphical
merge tool (and a console/curses based version as well, to be sure).

And +1 for darcs and xmonad applying as mentoring organizations in
their own right.

For that matter, it might be worthwhile for GHC to apply as well!
That would ensure some dedicated compiler slots, and more could be
contributed from the main haskell.org pool as appropriate.

As well, I know that there's quite a nice new hackage2 almost rolled
out, but I'm sure that there's at least an SoC project or two worth
of feature additions to that as well. Off the top of my head, and
bearing in mind that some might be further along than I think: a
generalized way to search the package database, slicing and dicing by
upload time, authors/maintainers, popularity, limiting views to
packages that build on certain platforms, etc; some thought into
security measures; a ratings system and associated reviews (thread/
wikibased); ways to mark packages as depreciated/for historic
purposes. And there's bound to be more.

As for numerics, I recall that Greg Wright, who knows whereof he
speaks, had some particular issues that he thought no existing
library addressed. I can't recall the details or do them justice, but
perhaps he might care to enlighten us?

Cheers,
Sterl.