[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell tutorial for pseudo users?

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 6 12:20:44 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 14:56 +0100, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2009/2/6 Jonathan Cast <jonathanccast at fastmail.fm>:
> > Emacs' terminal is also lacking all the modern conveniences, like
> > addressable cursors and builtin line-editing designed for 1970s printing
> > terminals and practically no searching capabilities.  Alternatively, you
> > could say it's incompatible with modern Unix's biggest mistakes and
> > worst legacy issues.
>
> With the risk of making this even more OT:
>
> Emacs has three different types of shells built-in, at least to my
> knowledge. These are M-x shell, eshell and term. I'm not sure which
> one you are referring to as "Emacs' terminal", if any of them, but
> inf-haskell.el uses "shell" afaics.

I believe so.  But the colorization support in shell-mode is supplied by
comint; comint does fine with colorization normally, but I've had
problems with large files in the past.  (E.g., comint can't handle the
colorized output from a full run of the test suite at work).

> And what do you mean with "no
> searching capabilites?" What kind of searching are we talking here?

Emacs' incremental search (C-r, C-s).  Remember that my list is a
(sarcastic) list of advantages of M-x shell (and comint) over full-blown
Unix terminal emulators --- I had mis-remembered that Konsole and
GnomeTerm lacked builtin search capabilities.  (Checking, I see that
Konsole (KDE 3.5.10, which is what I have at work) does have poorish
search support.  But Emacs' search is still better!).

jcc