[Haskell-cafe] Re: 1,000 packages, so let's build a few!

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Tue Feb 3 04:50:39 EST 2009

Don Stewart wrote:
> ganesh.sittampalam:
>> Don Stewart wrote:

>>> So, windows at haskell.org anyone? Get the wiki going, get the set of
>>> tasks created.
>>
>> Isn't the Haskell Platform going to do all this? Shouldn't
>> interested people just help out there?
>>

> The platform is a set of blessed libraries and tools. The distros
> will still need to package that.
>
> To do that for Windows, we're still going to need a windows packaging
> team, along side Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Mac etc.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform section 4
talks about making distributions.

So what should people be trying to do? Focus on (a) general
infrastructure
for packaging any Haskell library/binary on Windows (etc), or on (b) the
specific task of packaging the Haskell Platform?

If (b) then I don't think a whole new mailing list/wiki etc is
worthwhile.
(a) would obviously be nicer but is no doubt a much harder problem - I
guess
we'd want to start with Bamse and perhaps make use of the
"nestedInstalls"
feature somehow.

Ganesh