[Haskell-cafe] Haskell tutorial for pseudo users?

Emil Axelsson emax at chalmers.se
Mon Feb 2 11:19:25 EST 2009

Hi Deniz,

Deniz Dogan skrev:
> I don't think it's a good idea (or even possible) to use a Haskell
> library without knowing anything about Haskell or functional
> programming. However, it shouldn't take too long to learn the very

Well, I guess I was asking for a tutorial which covers everything except
the parts that are not normally relevant for a DSEL user. For example, I
would expect the following to be left out:

   * Definition of data types and classes
   * Laziness
   * Monad internals
   * IO
   * etc.

Things that I think should be covered:

   * Polymorphism
   * Higher-order functions
   * Lists
   * Recursion
   * Monadic combinators
   * etc.

Of course, the requirements may vary from case to case, but you get the
idea.

> Take some the time to
> read the parts that are relevant to you in e.g. Learn You a Haskell
> for Great Good (http://learnyouahaskell.com/)

Seems like a nice and gentle tutorial, somewhat like what I imagined.
However, it also seems a bit too "high school"-oriented for the audience
I currently have in mind :)

/ Emil (who may try to write this tutorial himself at some point)