[Haskell-cafe] Haskell tutorial for pseudo users?

Deniz Dogan deniz.a.m.dogan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:44:04 EST 2009

2009/2/2 Emil Axelsson <emax at chalmers.se>:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any Haskell tutorials suitable for people who don't (and possibly
> don't want to) know Haskell, but just want to use an embedded language that
> happens to be in Haskell?
>
> Such a tutorial would focus on using libraries rather than defining them.
> For example, it might explain how to interpret a type signature involving
> type classes, but not how to write one's own type class.
>
> Thanks,
>
> / Emil

Hi, Emil

I don't think it's a good idea (or even possible) to use a Haskell
library without knowing anything about Haskell or functional
programming. However, it shouldn't take too long to learn the very
basics needed to get going, but this of course depends on the
complexity of the library you're trying to use. Take some the time to
read the parts that are relevant to you in e.g. Learn You a Haskell
for Great Good (http://learnyouahaskell.com/) or Real World Haskell
which has been published in book form, but is also available at
http://book.realworldhaskell.org.

If you haven't already taken the course "Introduction to Functional
Programming given at Chalmers", you can take a look at the lecture
slides and/or exercises/labs from the course at
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Grundutb/Kurser/funht/.

I hope that helps.

Deniz