[Haskell-cafe] Finally tagless and abstract relational Algebra

Kim-Ee Yeoh a.biurvOir4 at asuhan.com
Tue Dec 29 08:36:56 EST 2009

Günther Schmidt wrote:

> Initially I had simply imported the CSV files into empty tables in a
> database and done the calculations directly in SQL, never ever again!
>
> [snip]
>
> But my 1st goal here is to express the algorithm.

Sounds like you want a better DSL than SQL. You're in massive company.

Conal gives a lot of useful advice on DSL design.
One way to start is to articulate existing pain. Where and why is SQL
painful?
Another trick is to work backwards: What kind of code do you really want to
write?

Whether you employ GADTs, initial datatypes, finally-tagless codata, etc.
isn't
really relevant at this stage. Prematurely latching on to a particular tool
gets
everything treated like a nail, even when they're nowhere close.